Rag-Rugging Tutorial

This little video shows the single crochet method that I use for my rag-rugs. We are amateurs at making videos; but, I hope this is helpful.
It is important to finger-press, stretch and smooth your way along as you crochet, paying attention to the curve of the rug, so that the finished rug will lie flat. Knowing when to add a chain is also important. I use my crochet hook as a "measuring stick"...if it will not go straight down into the next outside loop, then I add a chain. If you fail to add an extra chain when it needs one, there will be a gap, a little hole in the rug. Conversely, adding a chain when one is not needed, produces a rippled edge.

3 comments:

Lori said...

I have always wanted to try this but I am a procrastinator at heart. Thank you for showing the video, it makes it looks much easier than I thought. They look beautiful.

Sisterbrenda said...

I do have a question I just dug out my rag rug I tried making and realized I just have one long chain do I sew the first couple of rows? and then I realized I wasn't folding in my sides and fold over so I need to do that and I was sewing as I needed I didn't realize you do a long big roll and then start... Thanks God Bless

Anonymous said...

My aunt always made these. She would pre fold her fabric and roll it into a ball. She would leave them for a few days so the crease in the fold would hold when she did the crochet. It was faster to crochet and she did not have to stop and fold. Hope this helps.

Post a Comment


Ethan and his Rainbow Rug